Past Simple-Past Continous. Exercises.
Ex 1. Choose the correct verb form (Past Simple or Past Continuous) to complete the sentences.
- The film was rubbish, so we left/ were leaving the cinema and went / were going to the cybercafé.
- I didn’t like / wasn’t liking the program we watched / were watching, so I turned / was turning off the TV.
- Dave rang / was ringing me while I did / was doing my homework.
- As I fell / was falling asleep, I heard/was hearing a strange noise.
- I dropped / was dropping my keys while I ran / was running for the bus.
- The competition judges didn’t know / weren’t knowing whose food they tasted/ were tasting.
Ex 2. Complete the email with the Past Simple or Past Continuous of these verbs. You will need to use some verbs more than once.
Words: decide, get, give, go, happen, not hurt, play, try, want.
Last weekend Ben and I visited that new leisure center that everyone is talking about. We 1) ___________ to the ice-skating rink first. Ben slipped a few times while he 2) ___________ to do acrobatic tricks, but luckily he 3) ___________ himself. After that, we went to the main hall to see what 4) __________ there. On one side of the hall a rock band 5) __________ while on the other side some skateboarders 6) ____________ a display. The Skateboarders were fantastic so we 7) ___________ to stay and watch them.
After the exhibition, we both 8) __________ to go to the shops inside the center. But it was nearly rush hour and the shops 9) ___________ really crowded so we 10) ____________ to the multiplex cinema to see The Illusionist. What a fantastic film!
Ex 3. Past Simple or Past Continuous?
- An amazing display of traditional-style canoes ____ last week in Portland (to open).
- Last month, we ________ the most amazing opportunity to head down to Nashville (to have).
- Last year we________ too tired even to make quality home design (to be).
- While the tourists __________ at the beach, animators __________ coffee in the bar (to dance, to have).
- Last time there ________ a snowfall in November in 2016 (to be).
- We ________ busy building our new country house that year (to be).
- Our friend’s dog __________ us as we__________ around the neighborhood (to follow, to walk).
- The student __________ up the escalator while it __________ (to run, to move).
Ex. 4. Match the beginnings (1-7) with the endings (a-g). Then complete the sentences with the past simple or past continuous of the verbs in brackets.
1.He ___________ (climb) down the side of a building
2. The sun _________ (shine) brightly
3. The hot water tank _________ (explode)
4. When we _________ (get) to the concert
5. I _________ (not know) that my friends
6. While you _________ (lie) on the beach
7. Last year, Simon _________ (give up) painting
a) while I __________ (have) a shower.
b) the band ___________ (play) my favourite song.
c) when suddenly the rope _________ (break).
d) and __________ (take up) sculpture instead.
e) ___________ (prepare) a surprise party for me.
f) when I __________ (get up) this morning.
g) we ___________ (study) for our exams!
Ex. 5. Past Simple or Past Continuous?
- I (to go) to the cinema yesterday.
- I (to go) to the cinema at four o’clock yesterday.
- They (to go) to the cinema when they met me.
- She (to learn) words the whole evening yesterday.
- She (to learn) words when mother came home.
- He (to work) in the garden yesterday.
- He (to work) in the garden from five till eight yesterday.
- My sister is fond of reading. She (to read) the whole evening yesterday.
- The children (to do) their lessons at six o’clock yesterday.
- I (not to play) the piano yesterday. I (to write) a letter to my friend.
- I (not to play) the piano at four o’clock yesterday. I (to read) a book.
- He (not to sleep) when father came home. He (to do) his homework.
- When I (to go) to school the day before yesterday, I met Mike and Pete. They (to talk) and (to eat) an ice-cream.
- The baby (to sleep) the whole evening yesterday. She (feel) bad.
- What your father (to do) from eight till nine yesterday?
- Why she (to cry) when I saw her yesterday?
Ex. 6. Complete the dialogue using Past Simple or Past Continuous.
Ann: How ____ your holiday at the seaside?
Ben: Oh, it ____ wonderful, thank you! We ____ great fun!
Ann: What (you / do)______________there?
Ben: In the mornings, while my parents still (have breakfast) _______, I (play) _____ tennis with my friend Harry. After that, at about 10 o’clock we (swim) _____ in the sea and (play)______ football on the beach.
Ann: Yes, that sounds good! And what (you / do)______ in the afternoons after your lunch?
Ben: After lunch (we / go)______ on some interesting excursions around the place
where (we / stay) _______ that week. In the evenings after dinner (we /watch)_______ films on TV or (we / play) _______ chess with my dad.
Ann: I see, and what (you / do)_______ between 5 pm and dinner time?
Ben: Well, when the weather was nice and warm, my friend and I (have fun)_______ at the seaside. We (swim)________or (play)_________volleyball on the beach.
Ann: Fantastic! Next time I’ll go with you.
Ex 7. Past Simple or Past Continuous?
- ____you _____ (to wait) for me at 5 p.m.? — Yes, I ____.
- They_____ (to finish) their work at 11 o’clock and ______ (to come) home.
- It _____ (to grow) dark, so we______(to decide) to return.
- While Jack _______(to sit) by the window, we______ (to work) on a project
- A young man (to run) out into the street. He ______(to carry) a cat in his hands.
- What______you______(to do) when I ______(to phone) you yesterday?
- John______(to listen) to the radio when the batteries ______(to run) out.
- The robbers______(to steal) the car and they _____ (to drive) away.
- She______(to go) to buy a dress, but a thief _____ (to steal) all her money.
- She______ (to slip),______ (to fall) over and______ (to break) her leg.
- I saw a light in your window as I ______ (to go) by.
- Yesterday while I ______ (to walk) down Cherry Lane, I ______ (to meet) Thomas, an old friend of mine.
Ex. 8. Complete the sentences using Past Continuous or Past Simple.
- Peter (stay) at a seaside hotel on holiday when he (meet) his friend.
- While I (have) lunch the sun (come) out again.
- Who … you (talk to) on the telephone when I came?
- When Mary (read) the letter she (notice) many spelling mistakes.
- She (go) to bed when suddenly she (see) a mouse.
- We (sit) down to dinner when the door bell (ring).
- Mary’s grandfather (hurt) his back while he (dig) in the vegetable garden yesterday.
- While he (sleep), the doctor (arrive).
- What … she (wear) when yon (see) her at the party?
- What… she (want) when she (visit) you yesterday?
- Somebody (knock) on the front door as I (have)
- How much money … you (spend) last Christmas?
- My father (give) me money and I (spend) it all in one day.
- Peter (not/feel) very well, so he (consult) his doctor.
- Where …you (live) this time last year?
- Peter (not/look) at me as he (speak).
- When the ambulance (arrive), the patient (sleep) like a child.
- I (read)when he (called).
- They (wait) for the bus when I (see)
- What …you (do) when you (see) them?